Revealed – how the threat of ISIS is spreading: Extremist group has DOUBLED the land it controls in just a few months despite more than 800 coalition airstrikes
- New map reveals ISIS has expanded its control in Syria since the summer
- Believed a million more Syrians are now living under its extreme rule
- ISIS now controls about a third of the country, destroyed by civil war
- But US say strikes have worked to halt the group’s march through Iraq
- ISIS ‘largely in a defensive posture’ in Iraq, claimed Pentagon spokesman
SIS has almost doubled the land it controls in Syria since the US-led coalition began airstrikes against the extremist group in the summer, a new map has revealed.
The extremist group has continued to expand its ‘caliphate’, despite more than 800 airstrikes hitting targets in ISIS-controlled areas since last summer.
The map, created by the Coalition for a Democratic Syria (CDS), shows just how much land has fallen to ISIS – which now has a third of the country under its control.
Before the summer, the militants controlled just half that.